Sunday, January 9, 2011

Happy Birthday, Charlie!


Charlie turned one Tuesday, December 28th! We celebrated by going to Red Robin with Grandpa, Papa, and Nana for lunch on his birthday, and Charlie came in his big boy car seat! We had a party on Saturday, January 1st. It was important to us to keep the party low-key, but we ended up with a pretty full house! I really wanted to make Charlie's cake myself, 1) because it feels like a very "mom" thing to do, and 2) because I didn't want to pay $20+ for a store bought one. I didn't want it to be your typical 9x13 inch cake, so I opted for a layer cake. I'm not sure why I went with this idea, as I'd only done it once before and the first time was a bit of a disaster. Thus, it was with much trepidation that I took them out of the oven. After letting them cool for an hour or so, I prayed, "Lord, please let these come out of the pan clean, without sticking or crumbling." And they did!
Being the creative (or perhaps a better term is "cheap") person I am, I opted to color my own frosting rather than buy it in a can with an icing tip. I added color to the icing, beat it, and then scooped it into a ziplock bag. I cut off the tip and used it to write on the cake and cupcakes. Much more work, but I saved, like, $5! Rick and I iced the cupcakes together:
Charlie was very methodical about eating his cupcake. He ate all the icing first, then he went for the cake part. He ate the whole thing with minimal mess!



Thanks to all who came! And if you want to see more birthday party pictures, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment